Court proceedings about children

Court proceedings about children

If negotiations or mediation haven’t worked, or if the problem is really urgent, taking the matter to court may be the only option.

The starting point for a court, in almost any case involving a child, is the child’s welfare, which will be the court’s “paramount consideration” throughout.

Cases about children are heard in the Single Family Court. The seriousness, complexity and urgency of the case will decide whether it is heard by lay justices, a district or circuit judge or, exceptionally, a high court judge.

Often the court will ask for help and guidance from an independent body known as CAFCASS (Children and Family Court Advisory and Support Service). A family court advisor (often referred to as a CAFCASS officer) may be asked by the court to meet with you at court to see if agreement is possible. If not then it’s likely that the court will ask CAFCASS to carry out an investigation and to prepare a report for the court. You can find out lots more about court proceedings in our FAQ’s

We have wide experience in representing clients in all kinds of cases at all levels.  All of our lawyers are specialists in their field and will be able to advise you about the best way to present your case and likely outcomes.

If you are thinking about starting court proceedings, or if you have been told that you have to go to court, please contact us to find out how we can help you.

We offer range of fixed fees for most of our services, including in relation to disputes about children.

Go to Top